Accommodation in downtown Berkeley is available for all attendees for the duration of the conference, free of charge. Meals will be provided.
Conference attendees are asked to organize their own travel and are encouraged to inquire at their home insitutions for travel funding. The closest airports are San Francisico International (SFO) and Oakland International (OAK). There is also an Amtrak station close to downtown Berkeley. Limited travel grants will be available for those who need addtional support. Details about travel grants will be available soon.
Directions from Local Airports
- Taking the BART
- BART stands for Bay Area Rapid Transit. From both SFO and OAK, you'll have to take the BART to get to Downtown Berkeley (directions below the BART system map). You can vist the BART website for more information.
- From Oakland International Airport
- From the Oakland Airport, you have to board a bus that will take you to a BART station. This bus, called AirBART, departs from between terminals 1 and 2 about every 10 minutes and drops off at the Coliseum BART station. You must have exact change ($3.00) for the AirBART fare, which you can pay on board the bus. If you purchase a BART ticket from a BART ticket machine in the airport before boarding the bus, note that the bus fare box will not return your BART ticket -- so if you have more than $3.00 on it, you will lose it. Once at the Coliseum BART station, you'll buy a ticket from the BART ticket machines (pricing is indicated on the machines), and board the Richmond-Fremont train in the Richmond direction. This train will take you all the way to the Downtown Berkeley BART station, where you will exit. Note that the station signs only read "Berkeley." When you leave the train, note that you will need the ticket you bought at the Coliseum station to exit. More about AirBART here.
- From San Francisco International Airport
- From the San Francisco Airport, you find your way from your arrival terminal to the BART station. You may have to take the free AirTrain from your terminal to the station, just follow the signs. Once at the SFO BART station, you'll buy a ticket from the BART ticket machines (pricing is indicated on the machines), and board the Pittsburg/Bay Point - Millbrae/SFO train in the Pittsburg/Bay Point direction. You must transfer to the Richmond-Fremont line at the 19th St/Oakland stop; the conductor will make announcements. You can just walk across the platform to board the Richmond-Fremont train in the Richmond direction, which will be waiting there or be there shortly, as this is a timed-transfer station. This train will take you the rest of the way to the Downtown Berkeley BART station, where you will exit. Note that the station signs only read "Berkeley." When you leave the train, note that you will need the ticket you bought at the SFO BART station to exit. More about this route here.